Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Receiving blanket turned into a kid infinity scarf - DIY

*******SPONTANEOUS PROJECT ALERT****

So today I decided to create the most adorable infinity scarf for my sons.  I must say this was one of my most spontaneous crafts to say the least. After looking online for  numerous designs for kid friendly infinity scarves and not finding any to please me, I came to the quick conclusion that I need to make them. I decided that the specifics for the scarves will have to be flannel (slightly thick material) and Multi color to go with their other outer wear pieces. Coincidentally, before leaving out to go to the fabric store I was folding old baby laundry (just because I love to reflect on how little they use to be) and ran across my boys receiving adorable blankets. Not only were these the blankets I swaddled my boys in when they were just a few pounds but they also met my scarf specifics. So of course, pulled out my scissors and sew machine, then Voila an adorable scarf!! 

Here the receiving blanket folded. Please note, this is a standard size. 

 
I cut the blanket in half (the long way) and stitch the sides together so the scarf can be long. 
Then I folded (one time over) and stitched a very long seam <--- picture not shown. Also I stitched everything inside out. 


Next, I pulled the fabric outward and folded one end inward and inserted the other end into the folded insert. As you can see below, one side was slightly smaller but it isn't that noticeable. 


I am very satisfied with these scarves. They are warm and fit my boys just right. Perhaps I may go to a thrift store and find more blankets and make more for gifts for the holidays. 


Special thanks to my bestie, JJ, for naming this blog :) 

Modern day swaddling, 
L.A. Bonds